Thursday, March 13, 2008

JEWELRY EMERGENCY

It’s hard to believe that in this complicated world, something so seemingly inconsequential as a piece of jewelry can trigger an alarm. Why is that? I think it’s because we all become attached to our jewelry. It’s personal. It’s worn representationally and sentimentally as a part of us or a piece of art and it’s on our body. It symbolizes the “me” in me.
That’s why I’ve become so accustomed to those frantic phone calls at the most unexpected times. Like on Sunday, from Mike: “I Lost My Earring, I never took it off, can you rush me a new one?", or “A Taxi ran over my key chain you made on Park Avenue, can you fix it?”, or “Can you make my necklace again? It was stolen; I never took it off until I had that mud bath and I never saw it again”. Just yesterday my friend Hal called with an amusing story: I've become his personal jeweler over the years, even repairing the pieces I didn't originally make him. Apparently he was scratching his neck while driving and caught his favorite saphire necklace under his thumb. He pulled it, the chain broke and all the little pieces went flying inside his car. I can just see him stopping his car, arms flailing, trying to find all the little pieces and causing a traffic jam in the middle of NYC. Of course, I got that phone call accompanied by a Fedex package the next day.
I understand the need to have that talisman, that lifeline. It becomes so personal and it’s all in a piece of jewelry.
I like to think I’m here to create your “armor” for life. That personal, symbolic, protective icon. And when there’s a jewelry emergency, just remember, I’m here for you.

No comments: